Diplomatic relations between India and Peru were established in March 1963. In May 1963, the Indian Ambassador in Chile, Mr. P Ratnam was concurrently accredited to Peru and the Indian Embassy in Chile functioned concurrently as the Embassy of India to Peru. During this period, following were the Ambassadors of India:
In September 1969, India opened its resident mission in Lima, Peru. The Mission was headed by Charge d'Affaires, Mr. P A Nazareth. The first resident Indian Ambassador in Lima, Mr. A R Sethi, arrived in November 1973. Since then, following have been the Ambassadors of India:
In terms of location, the first resident Embassy was located at Paseo de la Republica, 291, Of. 1201, Lima. Subsequently, in 1974, it was shifted to Ignacio de Loyola, 150, Miraflores. Since 1990, the Embassy has been located at Av. Salaverry, 3006, San Isidro.