Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
The Indian Embassy defines the Person of Indian origin as a foreign citizen not being a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh and other countries as may be specified by the Central Government from time to time if
- She/he at any time held a Indian passport; or
- he/he or either of his/her parents or grand parents or great grand parents was born in and permanently resident in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935 and other territories that became part of India thereafter provided neither was at any time a citizen of Pakistan and Bangladesh; or
- She/he is a spouse of a citizen of India or a person of Indian origin covered under 1. or 2. mentioned above.
Know India Programme
Know India Programme (KIP), also known as the Internship Programme for Indian Diaspora (IPDY) is an on-going Programme started by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs. Know India Programme aims at associating the younger generation of India Diaspora to India and its culture. It is a three to four week comprehensive orientation Programme organised by the Ministry twice or thrice in a year, including one with Pravasi Bharatiya Divas that is held every year around 9 January.
The Know India Programme provides a unique forum to students and young professionals of Indian origin to visit India and share their views, expectations and experiences. Youth Festivals and Cultural Camps are organised to bond the students closely with contemporary India.
Broad guidelines for the Programme are given below:
- The participant should have distinguished himself/herself in a particular field, should have abiding interest in India and links with India through parentage.
- The participants should be in the age group of 20-28 years.
- The participants will have to pay for their international travel costs from their respective countries to Delhi and back. An amount equivalent to one-way air fare by economy/excursion class will be reimbursed to them by the Ministry. The Ministry will also take care of their internal travel, boarding lodging etc. A per diem allowance of Rs.100/- per day will also be paid to the participants as out-of-pocket allowance.
Applications are invited from Indian Diaspora in Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Fiji, France, Guyana, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Italy, Jamaica, Kenya, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mauritius, Myanmar, Netherlands, New Zealand, Oman, Portugal, Qatar, Reunion Island, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Suriname, Tanzania, Thailand, Trinidad & Tobago, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, and Yemen through the Indian Embassies in those countries.
For more details on Know India Programme, click here.